I'm going to 'excuse' making this dessert because it has two kinds of fruit in it-- bananas and pineapple. And,.......cream........... and nuts.
I didn't plan to make anything like this today, but,..............Megan and Steve came over and did a heck of a sweet thing for me (for us) today. I made this for us to 'sample' and to send the rest home with them.
Tasting this took me back to the days when hubby's mother would make it. It's interesting how certain things have a way of instantly 're-uniting' us with those in our past--
Read through entire recipe before starting.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 of 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of Cool Whip or 1 cup of whipping cream (whipped up). I used cream.
- 4 ripe but firm bananas, sliced
- 1 of 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, VERY WELL drained (with excess juice pressed out, but not dry)
- 1 of 21 oz. can strawberry pie filling, very optional
- 2-3 cups Cool Whip, OR 1 cup of whipping cream (whipped). I used cream.
- Chocolate syrup, for garnish
- Chopped nuts, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the flour, chopped pecans and butter just until evenly blended. Drop dabs of dough around bottom of a 9x13 inch glass Pyrex baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until only slightly browned. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Drain the pineapple.
- Mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until well blended. Add 1 cup of the Cool Whip and mix together. Spread this over the cooled crust.
- Slice the bananas over the cream cheese layer, following with the crushed pineapple, and then dab the pie filling around on the top (optional). Spread out as much as possible.
- Spread enough whipped topping on top to cover; cover dish and refrigerate for overnight or 24 hours (an hour ourside on our very COLD porch worked, too!). Before serving, garnish by drizzling chocolate syrup over the top. Sprinkle with addition chopped pecans.
- Cut into squares and serve.