Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, June 6, 2011

Edwina's 7-Week Bran Muffins (High Fiber)

Wow!, we LIKE these... a lot!  These aren't exactly a 'dessert' muffin, but more of a "get 'er done" fiber muffin!  Depending on what you add to them, they can be VERY tasty.   M-m-m-m, a bran muffin with a glass of cold milk is good.  (A second photo is at the bottom of the recipe).

                                                                                                                     (Photo by me, Doris)


I'm told this muffin got its name because you can mix up this large batch of batter and bake a small amount of muffins daily-- letting the rest of the batter wait in the refrigerator for up to 7 weeks.  Instead of doing it that way, I bake all of the muffins up right away and freeze them in Zip-Lock bags.  I defrost about six at a time and keep them in the refrigerator.

Dean's wife Edwina served us a muffin from this recipe when we visited them in Idaho during October of 2008-- SO GOOD! 

INGREDIENTS and DIRECTIONS:

2 cups boiling water
2 cups 40% bran or All-Bran
Pour the boiling water over the bran and set aside until it cools.

In large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer) cream together:
1 cup shortening
1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
4 large whole eggs

Add (and mix well):
5 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 quart buttermilk
4 cups All Bran
5 cups flour

I add extra 'stuff' to this recipe-- ground flax seed, a little wheat germ, nuts, craisins or dried cherries, and sometimes raisins.  Peeled/sliced and diced apple could also be added.  These muffins always turn out well for me.

I use the larger size of muffin tin with paper liners and fill them about 2/3 full.  For me, they bake up nicely at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.  Test first batch with a toothpick to see how the baking time is working out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment