Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Helen's Burger Soup

I got this recipe for making Hamburger Soup from Helen in the early 80's.  It is very flavorful.

Serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound lean hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion
~~~~
1 quart tomatoes
2 cups diced carrots
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
2 cups cubed raw potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup quick barley OR 1/4 cup rice
2 cup beef broth (this can be made with beef-flavored bouillon or soup base)
l quart water

DIRECTIONS:

Brown beef and onions until transparent.  Drain.  Add remaining ingredients.  Cover and simmer 1 hour.  (I like to put this into my enameled cast iron cookware and put it in a 325-degree oven for an hour, or until vegetables are tender.)

No comments:

Post a Comment