Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Monday, June 6, 2011

Sloppy Joe's (BBQ mix) to Serve 100

This is a recipe I found this on Page 14 of our farmer-oriented AGRI-VIEW  paper on May 13, 1988, and I made this up for the high school graduation parties we had for our children.  Other times, I've made this up and had it frozen in family-sized portions for when we'd get so busy with seasonal work around here.  Since then, I've had a number of requests for it.

BARBEQUE (100 servings)
18 pounds GROUND BEEF (CHUCK)
2 tablespoons SALT
1 of No. 10 can (the biggie!) of CATSUP
1/2 cup CIDER VINEGAR
1 teaspoon ground BLACK PEPPER
1/4 cup WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
4 cups (1 quart) finely chopped CELERY
2 cups finely chopped ONIONS
1 cup prepared MUSTARD
1 cup BROWN SUGAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brown GROUND BEEF (this works great in a Nesco type roaster)-- drain fat.  Add all other ingredients, mix well, and continue heating on low heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, checking and stirring occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking on bottom or sides of roaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment