Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, June 17, 2011

Five Flavor Cake (in Bundt or tube pan)

This recipe comes from Watkins.  I don't know for sure, but I think it was Bessie who gave me a piece of this cake (and the recipe)-- I really liked the combination of flavors in it, and the texture was fine, moist and on the dense side.  I remember having a very young Pam hand write the recipe for me, and it took a lot of time for her little hands to get it done.  The title she wrote at the top of the card is "That Expensive Cake Recipe".   Years later, a Watkins distributor gave me a recipe card for it.


INGREDIENTS: 

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs, well beaten until lemon colored
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Coconut Flavor
1 teaspoon Watkins Rum Extract
1 teaspoon Watkins Butter Flavor
1 teaspoon Watkins Lemon Flavor
1 teaspoon Watkins Vanilla

Cream butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, which have been beaten until lemon colored. 

Combine flour and baking powder and add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.  Stir in flavorings.  Spoon mixture into a Bundt or tube pan that has been greased and floured, or sprayed with the kind of Pam spray that has flour in it.  (The Bundt pan must be 10" or hold 12 cups; an angel food pan may also be used.) 

Bake at 325-degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours (90 minutes) or until cake tests done.  Add glaze if desired.  Cool in pan about 10 minutes before turning out.

GLAZE:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon each of Watkins Coconut, Rum, Butter, Lemon, Vanilla, and Almond Extracts.

Combine ingredients in heavy saucepan.  Bring to boil, stir until sugar is melted.  Pour one-half of the glaze over the cake while cake is still in Bundt pan, and the other half on the cake after it's removed from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment