Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, June 10, 2011

Easy Pie Crust

I first got this from my sister Nadine and I like it because it is 'forgiving' in that it doesn't get all tough if I re-roll a part of it, or do some patching with it. 

This makes 4 single, or two double crusts-- or, perfect for a large pan of 'Apple Slices'. 

INGREDIENT LIST:

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 and 2/3 cups shortening (or Lard)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS:

1.  In a large bowl (or the bowl of a food processor, or Kitchen Aid stand mixer), combine flour, salt, and sugar.

2.  Add the shortening.  Mix until texture is quite fine (with the Kitchen Aid, I use the wire whisk attachment for this).

3.  Add a blended mixture of the beaten egg, vinegar, and cold water-- mix well  (I change to the regular mixer paddle on m Kitchen Aid for this).

You'll think the dough is 'much too moist', but you'll be adding more 'dusting' flour as you roll it out on a floured surface and it'll be fine.  Hint:  I roll it out on either floured freezer paper,  floured waxed paper, or floured Saran Wrap-- then I carefully lay my pie plate in the center of the rolled dough, flip everything over and peel paper off.  Trim.

1 comment:

  1. I used this recipe for the crust of our Chicken Pot Pie yesterday! It was fabulous! I agree, that it is very forgiving. I used a 9 x 13 pan and had to make a few patches. Isaac was a little nervous it would taste or smell vinegary-y, because of the vinegar added, but it did not. :)

    ReplyDelete