Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cake 'n Berry 'n Cream Dessert


My Note:  I'm sure the following recipe is EXCELLENT just as printed, but these are some changes I make to it-- The Sara Lee brand pound cake (found in the frozen section at the grocery store) is quite expensive-- almost $4.00.  So, I just cut an angel food cake into 1/2" squares--this is done easily if the cake is frozen first.  I then put the cubes of angel food cake in the bottom of the pan in place of the pound cake.  Actually, I'm sure one could bake just a regular WHITE cake and put layers of that down into the 9x13" pan, also--it just might get "soaked up" just a little bit more, but that wouldn't be totally bad, either.   Also, I used 1 plus 1/2 cups water in place of the 7-Up-- a can of Sierra Mist soda works, also.  Then, in place of FRESH strawberries, I really think one could use a 10 oz. (or so) carton of frozen strawberries, but then eliminate that last 1/2 cup of water because there'd be juice in the berry carton.  This dessert is so much like the trifle dessert I've often made on Sunday.  Enjoy. 

Cake 'n Strawberry 'n Cream Dessert
I make the 3rd layer first, because it takes time for it to cool until very thickened.

LAYER ONE
1 (16oz) frozen Sara Lee pound cake, thawed.

Cut the pound cake into 16 equal pieces, and then layer these in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. (I had 4 pieces of the cake left over).  IF YOU USE PIECES OF CUBED ANGEL FOOD CAKE  (or slices of regular cake?), JUST MAKE SURE THE ENTIRE BOTTOM OF THE DISH IS COVERED--EVEN COVERED WITH TWO LAYERS OF THE 1/2" CUBES IS GREAT.

LAYER TWO
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 cups whole milk
1 large (5.1 oz.) package vanilla instant pudding


In a mixing bowl (or food processor), mix the room-temperature cream cheese with a very small amount of the milk until very smooth; very slowly add remaining milk while still mixing so that the mixture stays smooth.  Put this thickened layer over the cake layer, and refrigerate.   Add 'layer three' after 'layer three' has cooled and thickened.


LAYER THREE

1 cup sugar

4 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2 cups 7-up
1/2 cup
water

1 (3oz) package strawberry Jell-O
1-1/2 quarts fresh sliced strawberries.

FOR TOP OF BERRY LAYER:

1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped; OR an 8-oz. tub Cool Whip, thawed

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment