Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cranberry Nut Bread

In the Fall when it was 'cranberry season', my mother would buy quite a few bags of fresh cranberries and make up a whole bunch of cranberry bread loaves and put them in the freezer to enjoy for quite a while longer.  This is the recipe she used:

This recipe makes ONLY ONE loaf.  (My mother would make six to eight loaves of this recipe at a time.)

INGREDIENTS  and DIRECTIONS:

Combine...
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar

Make a 'well' in the above mix and add the following:

1 beaten egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons hot water.

Now, fold in....

1/2 pound cranberries, halved or coarsely ground
1/2 cup whole pecans (optional)
Little bit of grated orange peel  (optional)

Bake in greased 9x5-inch loaf pan at 325-degrees for about 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.  Lightly butter the crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment