Milkmaid's Recipe Box

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD! I'm such a FARMER at heart-- even a CALF knows that so much in life is about the FOOD! (A bit of a "bio" about me can be found way down near the bottom.)

You can find a recipe index entitled "Labels" down along the right side, starting below the picture of the farm. Then, below the "Label" list are pictures of some of my old "standbys"-- click on their picture and it should take you to the recipe.

You will see no advertising on my blog; this means there is no monetary benefit for me having "visitors" or "joiners"-- having said that, if you do wish to JOIN my blog, you can do so by scrolling w-a-y down to near the bottom of the page...

My Visitors

Locations of Site Visitors

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Caramel Icing (with PHOTO)




When I first made this recipe of caramel icing, the ingredient amounts were doubled and I didn't want that much!  So, I've cut the ingredient amounts (below)in half and this makes just enough for a 'modest' layer spread over a 9x13-inch cake. 

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter
1
1 tablespoons light corn syrup (like Karo)
1 very tiny pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and stir over medium heat while constantly stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Do this until you get the desired caramel color/flavor.  (I let it get hot enough to do a 'bubbly boil' and maintained that 'bubbly boil" for about six minutes.  Your time may be different.)  The picture below shows the color of it when I took it off the heat... 

Using my hand mixer (on high speed), I beat it until thick enough to spread over cake.  I stopped beating it when it was just stiff enough to keep little designs in it for a while before it leveled out again... like in the next photo:

Below: Before pouring the caramel icing on the still-very-warm German Chocolate cake, I poked some holes into its top with a dinner fork (mainly so the icing has a better 'grip'):


After leveling the icing and sprinkling a crushed mini-sized Baby Ruth candy bar on the top, it leveled out like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment